Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Banana Bars with Brown Sugar Frosting


I just got back from Florida!  I went for a three day weekend, and it was wonderful.  I believe I missed a rainy weekend here in DC.


We went to the beach, a large home in Miami called Vizcaya, and the Florida Keys.  It was a busy weekend!  We went kayaking and snorkeling.  Our one regret is that we didn't see any dolphins.



I have been taking many weekend trips this year, and it has improved my mental health.  When I get stuck in a routine, my life looses its color and beauty.


On another positive note, I didn't have any cavities when I went to the dentist this morning.  They didn't even tell me I needed to floss more.  I am often gently reminded to floss more when I go to the dentist.


I got this recipe off of a blog called Bakerita.  The ingredients for the bars are 1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cup light brown sugar, 1 egg, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup mashed banana (1 banana), and 1/2 cup chopped pecans.  


The ingredients for the frosting are 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, 1 cup powdered sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.  


For the bars, I melted the half stick of butter and added the brown sugar.  I whisked the butter and sugar.


I added the vanilla and egg.  I whisked this together.


I added the flour, salt, nutmeg, and ginger.  I stirred the batter together.



I gently stirred in the mashed banana and pecans.


I lined and greased a nine by nine inch pan.  I poured the batter into the pan and evened it out as much as possible.


I baked it for 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


While the bars cooled, I made the frosting.  I melted the butter and added the brown sugar and milk.



I whisked the frosting until it came to a boil.


I let the butter and sugar cool for five minutes.  I then added the cinnamon and powdered sugar.


I whisked the frosting together until there were no lumps.


Once the bars were completely cooled, I spread on the frosting.



I let the bars cool in the fridge for two hours before cutting them.   This gives the frosting enough time to harden.


These were delicious.  The brown sugar frosting was enjoyable and sweet.  The pecans were excellent, crunchy additions.


The banana flavor was subtle.  The texture was dense like a brownie.  I enjoyed these bars and had more than my fair share!


No comments: