Thursday, July 10, 2014

Jello Popcorn Balls


Apparently, Utah has a reputation for eating lots of Jello.  I am surprised because I haven't eaten much Jello in my life, and I'm from Utah.    


I don't mind Jello, but the texture is a little strange.  It's a firm and jiggly.  I haven't found any other food item that's quite the same.  


Several months ago I bought two boxes of popcorn on sale.  I am a sucker for sales.  I made this recipe to use some of my surplus popcorn.




The recipe came from food.com.  The ingredients are 1 cup corn syrup, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 3-ounce package Jello, and 10 cups popped popcorn.  I used strawberry Jello.


It's a simple and quick recipe.  I combined the granulated sugar, corn syrup, and Jello in a pot.



I stirred and cooked this together until the sugar and jello had de-solved.  


Once the sugar was de-solved, I poured the liquid over the popcorn.


I stirred the popcorn around to evenly coat each kernel with a layer of strawberry goo.  


I formed the popcorn into balls.  I made sure my hands were wet between forming each ball.  Otherwise the popcorn sticks like crazy.  I know this from experience.


 I found that when it was too hot it didn't form into balls easily, but if it was too cool it didn't stick together either.  There is a sweet spot when they form well.


These were good, but not one of my favorites.  It was sweet, and there wasn't much else going on.  


Even though this isn't one of my favorites, it is fun and colorful.  I think children would enjoy these sugar packed and bright red popcorn balls.  



No comments: