Friday, July 4, 2014

Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting

Happy July 4th!  I didn't make anything themed for this holiday.  It's pretty un-festive of me.  I make this chocolate cake for a barbecue.  Parties are an excuse for me to make something a little decadent because I don't end up eating the whole thing.

A couple of weeks ago my mother told me about a chocolate cake that my sister-in law made for my nephews birthday party.  It was one of the best chocolate cakes she has eaten.  She told me that my sister-in law made it from a box mix but added additional ingredients to make it moister and richer. 

I'm not sure if this is the exact recipe my sister-in law used, but I'm sure it was pretty similar.  I have seen other doctored cake mix recipes that have similar ingredients.  Sour cream and instant chocolate pudding seem to be two popular additions.  The cake was a very moist and rich.  My mom knows what she is taking about.

The frosting and cake recipe came from Allrecipes.  The ingredients for the cake are 1 package devil's food cake mix, 1 5.9 ounce package instant chocolate pudding mix, 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup vegetable oil, 4 eggs, 1/2 cup warm water, and 2 cups chocolate chips.  The ingredients for the frosting are 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 cup creamy peanut butter, 2 cups confectioners sugar, and 2 to 3 tablespoons milk.

For the cake, I added the cake mix, chocolate pudding, sour cream, and oil into a big bowl.

I added the eggs and warm water.

I stirred the ingredients together until the batter was smooth and lump free.

I added the chocolate chips and stirred.

I poured the batter into a 9 by 13 inch pan lined with parchment paper.  The batter is thicker than most cake batters I'm familiar with.  

I baked the cake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  If you bake this in a bundt pan, it will require 50 to 55 minutes.

While the cake cooled, I made the frosting.  I beat the butter and peanut butter together until smooth.  My butter was a little too hard, and I had to whisk it together for a bit.

I added the powdered sugar to the peanut butter mixture a half a cup at a time.  I stirred after each addition.  

The frosting was thick after all of the powdered sugar was added.  I ended up adding 2 tablespoons of milk to loosen it up to the desired consistency.  The frosting was luscious, and I could have eaten it all by itself.

Once the cake is completely cooled, I plopped on all the frosting.  I put dollops across the cake to make spreading a little easier.

I smoothed the frosting out with a butter knife.  I might have left a little icing in the bowl as a treat to myself.  

I chopped up about half a cup of cashews to sprinkle on top.  Peanut would have been more appropriate, but I didn't have any on hand.  The nuts were a great addition because they provided a welcome crunch.

It was a mouthwatering cake.  Chocolate and peanut butter are a perfect combination.  The cake was dense and moist.  The frosting was creamy and not overly sweet.

The crunch nuts on top were delightful.  It was a excellent cake, and I'm sure I'll use the recipe again in the future.  It can't be kept out in the sun too long or the icing will get soft.  


Jessica Holmes said...

Peanut butter frosting? Yes!! I love peanut butter and chocolate.

laura said...

Me too Jessica!