Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Broccoli Stir Fry with Ginger and Sesame


This week I spend $15 on chocolate.  Instead of buying a gluttonous amount of chocolate, I bought very expensive chocolate.  It was the first time I have spent such a ridiculous amount of money on chocolate.  



They have been really delicious.  I ate one this morning that had a fig center covered in dark chocolate.  It was super decadent.  The chocolates are also beautiful works of art.  They are a treat to the taste buds and eyes.  I don't think I can always spend so much on chocolate, but every once in a while you need to treat yourself.


On the other end of the food spectrum is broccoli.  I actually really like broccoli.  They are like eating little trees.  I got the recipe from another blog called Simply Recipes.  I made it as directed, but I added some cornstarch to made the sauce a little thicker.




The ingredients are 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, extra virgin olive oil, 1 pound broccoli florets, 2 cloves minced garlic, and 1 tablespoon fresh, ground ginger.



I began by toasting the sesame seeds in a dry pan.  It took 3 to 5 minutes on medium heat.  Once browned and fragrant I set the sesame seeds aside in a bowl.



I combined the chicken stock, soy sauce, sesame oil, and corn starch together.



I covered the bottom of the skillet in about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.  I heated the oil and sauteed the broccoli for a minute.


In the center of the pan I added a little more oil.  I added the ginger and garlic to the center and cooked for less than a minutes before stirring the garlic, ginger, and broccoli together.



I added the broth mixture, brought it to a boil, covered the pan, and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.


I added the sesame seeds and dug in.


 The pictures don't look like much, but it was tasty.  It wasn't as good as other stir fried broccoli I have eaten in the past.  I'm not sure why.  I think I prefer a strong soy sauce flavor.


My broccoli was also a little over cooked, which makes broccoli a little less appetizing.



 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hahah!!! I like the way you said - eating broccoli is like eating little trees! These look delicious!

laura said...

Thanks Samina!