Friday, November 1, 2013

Pumpkin Cinnamon Sugar Swirl Bunt Cake with Chocolate Chips

Welcome to November! I feel like November is the start of the holiday season. Thanksgiving and Christmas are my two favorite holidays. This month I am running a half marathon. I am training, but as you can see from my recent fudge recipe and this cake, I could be making healthier choices regarding my diet. I have heard that during the week of the race I should drink lots of water, and the day before I should eat carbs. I am not sure what I should be eating now to prepare for the race, but I assume I shouldn’t be eating pumpkin cake.

Anyway, this cake was delicious. With the chocolate chips and cinnamon sugar swirl, it definitely doesn’t need any icing. If you wanted to gild the lily, you could always smother the bunt with cream cheese or maple icing. I modified a recipe from allrecipies to create this cake.

The ingredients are 1 cup vegetable oil, 3 eggs, 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 3/4 cups sugar, 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 6 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 cup chocolate chips.




I creamed the oil, beaten eggs, pumpkin and vanilla together.



I added flour, 2 ½ cups of the sugar, baking soda, 4 teaspoons of the pumpkin pie spice, and salt into the creamed mixture.


I stirred until all the ingredients were combined and there are no lumps in the batter.

I mixed in the chocolate chips.

I added half of the batter into the bottom of a oiled and floured bunt pan.

I mixed together the remaining ¼ cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice.

I evenly sprinkled the cinnamon sugar over the pumpkin cake batter in the bunt pan.

I spooned the remaining cake batter of the cinnamon sugar layer.

I baked the cake for a little over an hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Good! I took part of this cake to work, and it was very well received. I also ate some for breakfast with warm milk. I love eating cake for breakfast. The cake is moist and spicy. The aroma created from baking the cake is a treat in itself.

No comments: