Monday, September 16, 2013

Molasses Cornbread


When I was growing up my mom would pour a béchamel sauce with peas and tuna fish over cornbread. I don’t know how she thought of that idea, but I liked it. I have had a soft spot for cornbread ever since that time. I especially like cornbread with honey butter. I read earlier today that some people like to eat cold milk poured over crumbled cornbread.

The original recipe was highly rated, but I decided to switch things up by using molasses instead of white sugar. I added creamed corn for texture. I also switched out buttermilk for Greek yogurt and some of the all-purpose flour for whole-wheat flour.

The ingredients for this cornbread are ½ cup butter, ½ cup molasses, 2 eggs, ½ cup Greek yogurt, 1 cup creamed corn, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 cup cornmeal, ½ cup whole wheat flour, ½ cup all-purpose flour, and ½ teaspoon salt.



I began by whisking the melted butter and molasses.


I then added the eggs and whisked.

I added the Greek yogurt, creamed corn, and baking soda and whisked everything together. The original recipe only called for ½ a teaspoon of baking soda, but I used an entire teaspoon. This is not the most appetizing color combination I have ever seen. I wouldn’t think about it too much because you could come up with some pretty awful comparisons.



I added the cornmeal, wheat flour, white flour, and salt.



I poured the batter into a greased 9-inch square pan. I baked the bread for 30 minutes in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven.

Good! It makes a good breakfast or side for any meal. I prefer a stronger cornmeal taste and texture, but the molasses could have masked the cornmeal flavor. You can taste the molasses, unsurprisingly as there is ½ a cup, but it isn’t overwhelming. Given that it has molasses and whole-wheat flour, it is a little darker than the cornbread I have eaten in the past, but it was moist and had a rich flavor.

No comments: